Thursday, July 15, 2010

Group Interview

Today I had my first group interview. I got the interview through the Weissman Center. There was a total of nine of us, including me. It was a big Baruch fest, with one guy from Fordham. I've never been on a group interview before, so before the interview I looked online on what to expect. All I can say is, you have to make a good lasting impression and stand out in a good way.

There were a lot of different personalities amongst the group. Let's see who they are:

1. The I ALWAYS ANSWER FIRST guy: this speaks for itself, this guy was the first to answer every question the interviewer asked us. This displayed his self confidence, his quickness on his feet, as well as his arrogance.

2. The I DID MY HOMEWORK guy: this guy did his homework and tries to refer back to his knowledge of the company whenever possible. All of his questions relates back to how the company is performing and includes facts and figures from the news. I dislike this guy because he seems very superficial and a suck up.

3. The I SOCIALIZE WITH EVERYONE guy: the guy who spoke to everyone and did the icebreaking, as well as trying to invoke responses from people. This guy tries to be the chill guy and tries to be the center of attention as well. Another type of suck up.

4. The FOREIGNER guy: the typical story of how this guy recently came to the US, is self motivated, pays for college and works at the same time, and pretty much amazing all around. The AMERICAN dream as you can call it.

5. The STUTTERING guy: this guy is obviously a nervous wreck and lacks both self confidence and experience. His voice was cracking up whenever it was his turn to answer and although he claimed to be an honors student with an excellent GPA, he's one of those bookworms that's never been out of the house.

And then there's me. What I did was try to relate everything to my current "job" and answered most of the questions using my experience with MetLife. I tried to stand out in my answers, but I don't think I made a strong enough impression. There were two people who I felt were more qualified than I was at the group interview. Oh well. Oh yeah, it was at UBS Financial.

No comments: