Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Virus... Again


Yesterday my computer started to act up, Avira Antivirus picked up several detections of TR/Vundo.Gen and I hit delete for all of them. Of course, it didn't fix the problem. I looked up the trojan known as "Vundo" on wikipedia and it gave me some symptoms. They were very accurate.

1. Frequent pop ups that tell me I have a virus and advertisements to different anti virus programs.
2. Facebook was blocked, oh the horror!
3. Random letters of .dll programs were ran.

So after doing a crapload of research, I installed the full version of symantec antivirus (provided by my college for free). I scanned the stupid thing for two hours and it found nothing (when Avira clearly found the Vundo). I deem symantec AV useless.



Next I downloaded Malware Byte's Anti-Malware. It found 26 infections, all the various forms of Vundo and its various spawns of ashgjf.dll. After the program moved those infections, I no longer got any more pop ups (I continued to have pop ups after Avira deleted everything it can find).

Malware Byte's Anti-Malware is excellent.

No comments: