Friday, January 13, 2012

Nostalgic Times Part 1

Winter break always brings out the boredom. Over these few weeks, I've played some old games and watched several anime series.

Games


Monster Rancher 2

My utmost favorite game of all time on the PS1: MR2. There is no doubt in my mind this is the best Monster Rancher game of its series. The replay value in this is huge and I haven't even scratched the surface of the game yet. I have the real game on the PS1, but now I'm using the emulator version because Gameshark makes the game go much faster (time is valuable after all). Once I finish raising all the monsters I want, I'll start to create YT videos to showcase my work.

Pokemon Black & White (Black)


The Pokemon series, a genuine classic. Back when Generation I was out (Red & Blue), every kid on the block had a Gameboy Color and was playing/trading their Pokemon in real life. I didn't own a GBC because my parents were cheap. Thus, I lived through the entire series off the emulator. Generation I was the best. The following paint picture provides an accurate interpretation of what the series becomes.

Generation I was the best because it was very hard to decide who you wanted to be your starter Pokemon. All three of them were awesome and my personal favorite was Charmander. Generation II, Gold & Silver, (still on GBC) was equally good. The first two generations were the most memorable of them all. The first 150 Pokemon can be remembered by every kid. At 250, it began to get sketchy, but manageable. Generation II was a toss up between Totodile or Cyndaquil, no one really liked Chikorita. I liked the first two games so much I beat the game many times and unlocked everything. Generation III (Ruby & Sapphire) came out on the Gameboy Advanced. GBA was a step up in the series. The color and graphics were much improved, but the speed of the game was slowing down. It became annoying because with all the animation, the gameplay felt really slow. Nonetheless, I beat the game with Torchic as my starter and never looked back. There was way too much to fully unlock and I didn't bother. Genration III also included the remake of Red & Blue AKA FireRed and LeafGreen. Those were very enjoyable.

Generation IV came out on the Nintendo DS (Diamond & Pearl). There were no working emulators during that time, and so I skipped Gen IV completely. I felt no connection with the new Pokemon either. The reason why the first couple Gens were so sticky was because the anime was also on air. As a kid, to be able to watch the show and play as the characters was what made the franchise so successful. I don't even remember when channel 11 decided to sell Pokemon to Cartoon Network but I felt it was a bad move. Generation IV was a big miss for me.

Just came out last year, the 5th Generation features Black & White. Again, it had the same problems that Gen IV suffered. I played Black on the emulator and everything was too excessive. The random encounters took too long to load, the attack animations were tedious, and the walking was too slow. Everything about the game was too slow for my limited time capacity to enjoy. Again, there was no connection. I looked long and hard at the three starters and none of them appealed to me.


No comments: