Monday, February 1, 2010

vita



Baruch VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)

Address:
151 East 25th Street (Library Building, 1st Floor) (Map)
New York, NY 10010

Time: WED 4-7 PM

I will do your tax for free! Visit me with your W-2's and I will file your federal and state taxes for you. Don't worry, I won't mess it up.


Baruch VITA is an interesting concept. The program is designed to train students on how to file federal 1040 and state returns. They allow like three months for people to sign up. After that, they start selling their textbooks. Those who are willing to spend the money to buy the textbook are to past a pre-test in order to get into training. They accept the first 600 people who past the pre-test into training. After going through a three day training, we take a post-test. Only a little more than 300 people are accepted into the program in order to volunteer. I'm not sure if I really want to do this now because it is insanely mundane and boring. Filing out tax forms is such a robotic routine it requires very little thought at all. The instructors even told us to not memorize anything because it is better to look things up. So that's all you have to do, look up directions and follow them. I feel like a monkey flipping through pages of a book, doing the same thing over and over.


Some humor:

No comments: