Sunday, January 4, 2009

Desktop caught a virus

Alright today my desktop caught a virus of some sort that finally made it to stop functioning. Usually when there is a virus it's not that big of a deal because the antivirus can just quarantine or delete it. This time is different. I was on Crunchyroll.com browsing what series they have and it suddenly redirected me to some weird site that ended in a .pdf extension. I felt tremendous lag time and thought the computer froze. Acrobat Reader started up and immediately Avira popped up with like three different Trojans asking me what to do. I pressed deny access for all of them and AVG popped up as well. I pressed heal... big mistake. After that, I thought it was no problem and I went to eat breakfast.

When I came back my desktop was gone. All that was on the screen was my wallpaper. I can press CTRL ALT DEL and start Task Manager but I couldnt get explorer.exe to work. I tried to enter into safe mode to back up my files but that didnt work either. I called Geek Squad and they connected me to some Indian technician. That was the first time I've seen outsourcing come into play. The Indian technician with his heavy accent told me I had a virus after I told him the symptoms. As if I didnt already know I have a virus... The price for fixing the damn thing was $99 from their company.

I decided to take the damn thing to Ave U and get it fixed ASAP. They charged me $75 for ridding the virus. I really dislike those people who repair computers for a living. They are probably the people who program the viruses in the first place so they have a business. How else do viruses spawn?

Anyway, I warn everyone against going to CrunchyRoll from now on. This wasnt the first time they redirected me to some other site, this time was worse than the last.

No comments: